I am very sure that if you have a dog, you might just love him more than anything. The dogs we have as pets are just as good as our best friends, and we could do anything to make them happy. Learning how to build a dog house for your pet is the first and most affectionate thing you could do for them.
Sometimes it can get a bit difficult for your family members to adjust to and accommodate a dog inside the house. Thus, it would be more convincing to build a kennel for your pet to keep him in a safe retreat away from all the fuss and drama. Such a cool idea would definitely make your dog and your family the happiest.
Plan How To Build A Dog House
When you have already taken on a decision, it is now time to sort your plans of how to build a dog house successfully. Here in this article, I will elucidate the basic steps required to build a simply designed kennel for your dog. If you are a beginner, you will perfectly grasp the instructions provided in this guide.
You must make sure that the dog house you build is according to the size of your pet. There should be enough room for them to move and stay freely. The dog house should be built a few inches above the ground level so as to prevent any water from penetrating and also to restrict the floor from getting too chilly during winters.
- Hardwood Plywood
- Wood Siding
- Box Nails
- Roof Shingles
- Wood Screws
- Balusters and Spindles
- Pressure Treated Lumber
- Power Drills
- Measuring tape
- Circular Saw
- Table Saw
- Writing Utensils
How To Build A Dog House? Know The Steps!
If you are a beginner, you must be patient enough while building a dog house. While learning how to build a dog house, you must be very cautious and keep safe from injuring yourself.
It is recommended that if you are doing it for the first time, make sure you have a friend or family member present there to help you out. Ask your dog to hold his excitement while you educate yourself with the following steps:
1. Construct The Base
The main foundation of any construction is its base. Hence, while building a kennel, the primal focus should be on building the base in the best possible way.
Since you are building an elevated floor, you can keep an air gap between the floor and the ground. You can also add a few boards to occupy the space for insulation.
- Three numbers of 2×4 inch studs must be cut into 5 feet in length.
- Two numbers of 2×4 studs must be cut into 4 feet in length.
- Construct a rectangular pattern with a board as a center support.
- Drill two pilot holes at the end of both floorboards.
- Attach the platform floor using the galvanized nails.
You Can Also Read: THE CHALLENGES OF A FIRST TIME DOG OWNER
2. Building The Sidewalls
As soon as the base has been constructed, the next step requires you to put up the four walls of the kennel. It is one of the most important steps of knowing how to build a dog house. It is time to put all the plywoods to use.
Generally, the most simple form is an A-shaped dog house. For this, you will need to slash the top part of the front and back panels like a triangle. Accordingly, you will have a base to set the roof.
- For the top and bottom plates, four 2×3 inch studs must be cut into 39 inches long each.
- Set the same studs vertically to form a proper structure by fixing them with box nails.
- Add 2×3 inch studs across the top to form a perfect square.
- Also, form a board running down across the center.
3. Setting Up The Plywood
Now that you have the basic skeleton of your dog house, you just need to fix the plywood to the base structure.
Setting the plywood is no hard work, as you have already done the same while building the base.
- Cut the top of the front and back panels into a triangular shape using a saw.
- Also, frame the doorway entrance by cutting out a structure on the front panel.
- A stud must be added running across the back to the front.
- Gather the plywoods to be fixed onto the wall frames and fix them to the base platform using galvanized nails.
Read Also: TOP 10 BEST DOG BLANKETS OF 2021
4. Construct The Roof Frames
The roof you want for your dog house has a variety of materials that you can choose from. However, in this case, I would suggest you use shingles.
You can also use wood, or in case of damp weather, you can opt for weather-treating your ply. The last and the easiest step of learning how to build a dog house involves fixing the roof on the top of the base structure.
- 1×6 inch boards must be cut in a way that creates a 2-ich overhanging roof edge on all sides.
- The plywood must be trimmed into a measurement of 4sq ft to be fixed on top of the roof edging.
- Finally, nail the ply onto the structured roof.
- Fix the shingles with the starter strip along the roof edges.
When you are all done with building the dog house, it is now your choice to give it a makeover. Want to see your dog jump around with sheer happiness? Throw on some paint and decorate the kennel with some bells and whistles. I hope reading this article could be useful for you.
Learning how to build a dog house is one of the most basic and essential things which you need to know in 2021. If you are planning to buy a dog or already have one, building a dog house will be the best option for your family as well as your pet.